HELP! My diamond jewelry looks dirty and dull...
Help is here! And cleaning your diamond jewelry at home is easy! And you'll just need a few household items. A warm sudsy bowl of water, dish soap, a toothbrush and a soft cloth is all you'll need.
PS: Just make sure you're not using dish soaps that contain bleach or any kind of moisturizers. Bleach can harm the precious metals on your jewelry and moisturizers can leave a film behind.
- Step 1: Start by making a warm water and soap solution in a bowl. Place your jewelry in the bowl. Let it soak for 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Gently scrub it with a soft bristled toothbrush.
- Step 4: Rinse your jewelry with water.
- Step 5: Dry your jewelry with a soft cloth or let it air dry.
- Don’t use paper towels to dry your jewelry. They can be too harsh and can scratch precious metals.
- Avoid applying thick lotions and creams when you have your jewelry on. They can buildup and cause your diamonds to look dull.
- Try not to wear your rings when you exercise, garden, or do any other strenuous activity that could loosen the stone from the setting
- Remove your jewelry while you're cooking. Food and oil can cause greasy buildup.
- And perfumes, sunscreen, hairspray, detergents and bleach used in everyday life contain harsh abrasive solutions that can erode or dull the metal in your jewelry. Although they will not hurt the diamond, it is important to also keep the metal intact, so your diamonds stay in place.
And don't forget that cleaning your diamond at home is great for a quick refresh, but be sure to take your diamond jewelry in for a professional cleaning once every six months to preserve the integrity of your beloved pieces. Water Street Jewelers can professionally clean your jewelry plus examine the setting and check your jewelry for any weakness, trauma, or loose prongs. Just consider it a jewelry checkup to catch any issues and keep your jewelry looking it's best!